YAPI is always the first Thursday of the month so the next YAPI event will be Thursday, October 5th.
September 2009 – 5 Acts (6 Performers)
Age 12 and Under
Jackson Hvizdos, 12 – Played piano solos
Kendall Dane, 15 – Sang and accompanied himself on guitar
Morgan Stephens, 15 – Sang on one of Kendall’s songs
Alex Aston, 14 – Played electric guitar solos
George Matthews, 19 – Sang songs
Laurel Gage – September YAPI MC
YAPI September News and Notes
Brenda Freed was unable to be there to host YAPI but DuAnne Redus took over. Thanks so much to DuAnne, owner of Maui Wowi and Executive Director of www.youthtakingcharge.org that sponsors YAPI, for all she does to support local youth!
September YAPI welcomed newcomer, Jackson Hvizdos who played piano solos. We have not had a piano player for quite some time so that was good to see. We look forward to Jackson’s return. It was great to see Morgan Stephens singing with Kendall Dane again. We have not heard from her since November of 2008! George Matthews performed back in February so it was good to hear him again. It’s so great that Alex Aston is becoming a YAPI regular! If you have not heard him play guitar, you’re really missing out! Laurel Gage was our YAPI MC for the evening. Thanks to Laurel.
All age 19 and under performers encompassing all levels of experience and talent are welcome to participate in the Young Artist Performance Incubator. YAPI provides a safe and supportive environment for youth to get performance experience with a sound system, to hone their performance and artistic skills and to share their talents with family and peers.
There are many ways for area youth to participate in YAPI besides performing. YAPI is always looking for local youth to help and gain experience in the following areas:
- Taking pictures at YAPI
- Writing YAPI news for the emailing list and website, or perhaps writing an article for the school or local newspaper
- Helping to get performers signed up and signing up people to be on the YAPI emailing list
- Putting up posters to help get the word out
- Emceeing-introducing performers and running YAPI events
- Setting up each act and running the sound system
Brenda would be happy to apprentice any local youth who want experience in any of these areas. Please contact Brenda at BFreed1@earthlink.net or call 512-847-1022 if you are interested. The goal is to have the youth run YAPI as much as possible.
You can support the YAPI community event by:
- Coming out to YAPI to perform the first Thursday of every month (if you are age 19 or under)
- Encouraging or bringing a young performer to come perform at YAPI
- Coming to YAPI to listen to the performers and being a supportive audience member
- Helping to get people on the YAPI email list and spreading the word about YAPI
If you are reading this and would like to be added to the YAPI email list, or if you know of anyone who would like to be added to the list, please email your/their name and email address to BFreed1@earthlink.net with “Add to YAPI Mailing List” as the subject. Brenda will send only YAPI email reminders and news following each YAPI event.
See you at the next YAPI monthly community event!