February 2010 – 4 Acts (5 Performers)
Age 12 and Under
No YAPI participants in this age category
Mackenzie Young, 14 & Mary Snyder, 15 – Sang accompanied by Brenda on piano
Vanessa Huggins, 17 – Played classical piano solos
Kendall Dane, 16 – Played guitar and sang, played classical piano solo
Sam Hays, 15 – Played guitar and sang (some original material) and played piano and sang
February YAPI News and Notess
What a great night it was at Maui Wowi in Wimberley, Texas for February YAPI! We heard a nice variety of musical styles. It was great to have Kendall Dane back. We had not had a performance from him in a while, and we finally had the pleasure of hearing him play piano! Vanessa Huggins did a great job on her piano solos and we could see her gain confidence with every piece she played. The singing and harmonies of Mackenzie Young and Mary Snyder are not to be missed! Their voices blend like whipped butter. Thanks to Sam Hays for coming from Dripping Springs. Among a variety of covers, he sang an original song while accompanying himself on guitar. We always welcome original music at YAPI.
We invite all performers 19 and under to participate in YAPI. It is the perfect opportunity to get over stage fright, to hone performance skills and to get experience performing with a sound system. The more comfortable one feels, the more one will enjoy performing. You couldn’t ask for a more supportive and appreciative audience than the YAPI audience.
It would be great to get more youth involved in YAPI events. All age 19 and under performers encompassing all levels of experience and talent are welcome to participate in the Young Artist Performance Incubator. But, there are many ways for area youth to participate in YAPI besides performing. YAPI is always looking for local youth to help and gain experience in the following areas:
- Taking pictures at YAPI
- Writing YAPI news for the emailing list and website, or perhaps writing an article for the school or local newspaper
- Helping to get performers signed up and signing up people to be on the YAPI emailing list
- Putting up posters to help get the word out
- Emceeing-introducing performers and running YAPI events
- Setting up each act and running the sound system
Brenda would be happy to apprentice any local youth who want experience in any of these areas. Please contact Brenda at BFreed1@earthlink.net or call 512-426-0301 if you are interested. The goal is to have the youth run YAPI as much as possible.
YAPI is always the first Thursday of the month so the next YAPI event will be Thursday, March 4, 2010.
You can support the YAPI community event by:
- Coming out to YAPI to perform the first Thursday of every month (if you are age 19 or under)
- Encouraging or bringing a young performer to come perform at YAPI
- Coming to YAPI to listen to the performers and being a supportive audience member
- Helping to get people on the YAPI email list and spreading the word about YAPI
If you are reading this and would like to be added to the YAPI email list, or if you know of anyone who would like to be added to the list, please email your/their name and email address to BFreed1@earthlink.net with “Add to YAPI Mailing List” as the subject. Brenda will send only YAPI email reminders and news following each YAPI event.
See you at the next YAPI monthly community event!