February 2009 – 5 Acts (6 Performers)
Age 12 and Under
Lukas Anderson, 10 – Sang accompanied by Brenda Freed on piano, then sang and accompanied himself on guitar
Arianna, 5 & Jasmine, 6 – Played violin
Morgan Taylor, 12 – Played guitar solos, some original
Alex Aston, 13 – Played guitar solos
George Matthews, 19 – Sang songs a cappella
YAPI February News and Notes
We had such a good time at February YAPI. One never knows what to expect! It was a treat to hear the young Arianna and Jasmine play violin together. What stage presence! They were definitely a hit and we look forward to hearing them again. Lukas Anderson is quite the performer and is always accompanied by a fan club. We LOVE that! YAPI goers are also hearing some great young electric guitarists that ROCK! Alex Aston is amazing on guitar and there was a new YAPI performer, Morgan Taylor, who played an original guitar piece among some rockin’ covers. We were surprised by George Matthews who happened to come in to Maui Wowi during YAPI and took the stage to sing a cappella. He sang with such feeling and without inhibition. It was great!
YAPI is always the first Thursday of the month so the next Young Artist Performance Incubator will be Thursday, March 5th.
All age 19 and under performers encompassing all levels of experience and talent are welcome to participate in the Young Artist Performance Incubator. YAPI provides a safe and supportive environment for youth to get performance experience with a sound system, to hone their performance and artistic skills and to share their talents with family and peers.
There are many ways for area youth to participate in YAPI besides performing.
- YAPI is always looking for local youth to help and gain experience in the following areas:
- Taking pictures at YAPI
- Writing YAPI news for the emailing list and website, or perhaps writing an article for the school or local newspaper
- Helping to get performers signed up and signing up people to be on the YAPI emailing list
- Putting up posters to help get the word out
- Emceeing-introducing performers and running YAPI events
- Setting up each act and running the sound system
Brenda would be happy to apprentice any local youth who want experience in any of these areas. Please contact Brenda at BFreed1@earthlink.net or call 512-847-1022 if you are interested. The goal is to have the youth run YAPI as much as possible.
You can support the YAPI community event by:
- Coming out to YAPI to perform the first Thursday of every month (if you are age 19 or under)
- Encouraging or bringing a young performer to come perform at YAPI
- Coming to YAPI to listen to the performers and being a supportive audience member
- Helping to get people on the YAPI email list and spreading the word about YAPI
If you are reading this and would like to be added to the YAPI email list, or if you know of anyone who would like to be added to the list, please email your/their name and email address to BFreed1@earthlink.net with “Add to YAPI Mailing List” as the subject. Brenda will send only YAPI email reminders and news following each YAPI event.
See you at the next YAPI monthly community event!