February 2008 - 10 Acts (19 Performers)
Age 12 and under
Natalie Shanklin, 12 (The YAPI Birthday Girl) – Played piano solos
Dawnielle Pierce & Cypress Schwartz, both 12 – Sang a cappella
Amanda Williams, Margaret Rowand, both 12, and Sydney Sprague, 11 – Flute trio
Eliza Van Overschelde, 12 – Sang accompanied by Brenda and YAPI photographer
Abigal Wetzel, 12 – Sang backed up by the 12 year old birthday party participants
Robyn Derr, 11 – Sang solos a cappella
Margaret Rowand, Natalie Shanklin & Shelby McElwee, all 12 – Sang accompanied by Erin Rowand, 12 on clarinet
Chamath Dharmasiri, 10 – Played clarinet and piano solos
Elisia Hartin, 17 – YAPI emcee
YAPI February News and Notes
This month we celebrated Natalie Shanklin’s 12th birthday complete with a cake that said, “Have a Happy YAPI Birthday.” Thanks to Natalie, we had a lot of new YAPI participants who were there to celebrate with her. We had a flute trio, clarinet players, piano players, and many singers. It was a really fun YAPI night and we hope all those new performers will come back to YAPI March 6th!
A special thanks to Elisia Hartin who has been our reliable emcee for almost a year! Elisia also helps load in and load out, set up and tear down the sound system, get people on the mailing list, and sign up YAPI participants. Also, a special thanks to Eliza Van Overschelde who has done so well taking YAPI photos also for about a year.
YAPI welcomes the participation of youth age 19 and under. There are many ways for area youth to participate in YAPI besides performing.
|YAPI is always looking for local youth to help with the following:
- taking pictures (Any young photographers out there?)
- writing YAPI news for the mailing list and website, or perhaps writing an article for the school newspaper or local newspaper (Any young writers out there?)
- helping to get performers signed up and getting people on the YAPI mailing list (Any young organizers out there?)
- putting up posters around Wimberley and at all the schools or making a new poster (Any young publicists out there?)
- emceeing-introducing performers and basically running the show (Any young “hams” out there?)
- setting up each act and running the sound system (Any young sound engineers out there?)
If any local youth want experience in any of these areas, please contact Brenda at BFreed1@earthlink.net or call 512-847-1022. Brenda would be happy to apprentice anyone that is interested in any of these areas. It is so cool to have the youth run YAPI as much as possible.
You can support the YAPI community event by:
- Coming out to YAPI to perform the first Thursday of every month (if you are 19 and under)
- Encouraging or bringing a young performer to come perform at YAPI
- Coming to YAPI to listen to the performers and being a supportive audience member
- Helping to get people on the YAPI mailing list
All age 19 and under performers encompassing all levels of experience and talent are welcome to participate in the Young Artist Performance Incubator. YAPI provides a safe and supportive environment for youth to hone their skills, to explore performing and to share their talents. YAPI is always a FUN time.
If you are reading this and would like to be added to the YAPI email list, or if you know of anyone who would like to be added to this list, please email your/their name and email address to BFreed1@earthlink.net with "Add to YAPI Mailing List" as the subject. Brenda will send only YAPI email reminders and news following each YAPI.
YAPI is sponsored by www.youthtakingcharge.org and takes place on the first Thursday of every month at Maui Wowi in Wimberley, TX. The next YAPI is Thursday, March 6, 6pm-8pm. See ya there!